History of the Shrine
The Marian Shrine was originally purchased from Walter Herbert Filor, a wealthy stockbroker's estate in 1945 to be used as a high school seminary for young men training for priesthood. In 1971, the provincial Father John Malloy built the current retreat center house which contains 54 rooms. The shrine consists of over 40 statues, with the biggest one being the Rosary Madonna standing at a commanding 48 feet tall.
The Madonna statue came from White Plains, New York and was designed by Martin Lumen Winter of New Rochelle. Cast in Bronze, the statue was brought over on a flat bed truck over the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Now that the Shrine is established and still growing considerably, its main purpose is to cater to its religious community, and helping people to expand their faith through prayer, reflection, and community events.
Presently, the Retreat House caters to over 20,000 kids, young adults, and adults per year in retreat ministry.
Father James McKenna currently serves as the Salesian director of the Marian Shrine since 2011.
Rosary Madonna Statue